Apr 8, 2014

Robb Herrick 1st overall Top Sport Stage Race in Copperopolis, CA -  Cat 4 Master 35+  After Stage 2, I was still in third place. Still 15 seconds behind second place and 40 seconds behind the overall leader. My TT started at 12:16:30 in reverse order, so the two I was targeting were going after me. They were sending off riders every 30 seconds. The course was bumpy and there were alot of little hills. I shot out of the gate, and then planned on settling on trying to put out my FTP for the race. Less than two miles in, I overtook the rider who went 30 seconds before me, and I ended up passing 3 more riders before the halfway turn. Heading back, I could see the first and second place rider and I knew they were not gaining on me. I put my head down and hammered the last 5 miles. I crossed the line at 26:02, and found out that the second place and first place guys were over 27 minutes. I ended up winning the TT by 1 minute 13 seconds and I beat the overall leader by 1 minute 39 seconds, catapulting me to first place overall. This TT Bike is a rocket.

*** Post race comments from GC leader, waiting for results ***
Everyone was waiting at the town square for the final TT and GC results. It took what seemed like forever and during the wait 2nd on GC started conversing with me and telling me about his TT. He said he thinks he did a 26:01. My jaw sank. 26:01??? That is a ridiculously fast time. I did a 28:11 last year and a few of the strong guys I spoke with directly after today’s TT were thinking they did mid 27 minutes. So results came and I ended up 2nd in the TT at 27:27…which was 45 seconds faster than last years’ time. The GC winner did it in 26:03….which was 5th fastest time of the day out of the pro/1/2 and E3 and Master 35 1/2/3 according to the times they had posted. He managed to sneak by and take a well-deserved GC victory. His TT skills were mind blowing and there was nothing I could do to take the GC that day. Overall the victory in the Road Race was by far more significant for me that the GC win so overall it was a successful weekend.