Apr 10, 2014

Event
Copa Rio de Janeiro, Stage 2 - Madureira Circuit Race
March 2014

Course description
2.5 Km loop for 14 laps
Super lumpy, littered with sunken manhole covers and a series of speed humps.
A very slight climb and lots of turns through narrow city streets.
I like the technical stuff


Previous Results
First time in this location

Weather
Nice and hot 87+

Teammates
Though the race starts all Master B 40+ … the podium is selected separate B1 40-44 and B2 45-49 - me a B2
I had 3 friends in TBear-Rio kits that raced in the B1…Vinicius, Leandro and Alexandre - who won 2 primes!

Goals
With last season racing Pro/Elite I return to Masters racing looking to make breaks and score podiums

Plan
I don't recall any primes last season but this race had 4 announced before the race!  a nice change to spice things up.  
Laps 3, 6 , 9 & 12 had a R$100.00 prize with the race finishing on lap 14.
My plan was to wait until the legs got hot on lap 6 and counter hard the typical Prime let down and try to get a break going.  
If we got to lap 12 together I would give 100% on the last 2 laps 

Race Summary
As planned I stayed close on all the primes but held back a bit in each of the sprints.  
I towed the line a few more laps than I should've (feel in' like Ken here) as no one wanted anything to do with the front end but the legs felt good… 
Tried on a few occasions to escape after laps 3, 6 & 9 but the group was very attentive.  
Finally, on lap 12 I gave it all I had after the Prime group sat up and got away with 4 others…2 B1's and 2 B2's.  Unfortunately none of the B1 TBears were in the group.
I drove it all of lap 13 as no one wanted to pull through and finally got a bit of help from Marcello on finally loop.
Able to recover a bit; we approached the long wide flat drags trip to the finish and as a mediocre sprinter I went for it early at perhaps 350M?!
…and to my surprise solo to the line!

Results
1st

Takeaway
Most Masters riders in Rio seem to be waiting for the final sprint - so I need to work on that top end and crafting the break-away with willing and able riders.
Need to coordinate better with the Master B1 TBears-Rio  so that when the breaks go we are both represented.

Numbers
Distance: 20.1 Miles
Time: 48:04
Elevation Gain: 548 ft
Avg Speed:20 mph
Max Speed:35.1 mph
Avg HR:155
Max HR:195
NP:284 watts
Avg Power:264 watts
Max Power:1242 watts
Power for last 5km: 344 watts
TSS:101.5
Suffer score:83

Go Bears!!
Aaron
TBC


PCG Coach: Hunter Allen