Mar 25, 2014

PCG Athlete, Raj Nair competed in the Morgantown Road Race on Saturday, March 22 and finished the race 2nd. Here is Raj’s recap of the race, “After living away in the tropics for 3 years, probably this winter was not the best time to come back to North America.  The Morgantown road race in WV was my second road race for 2014. I was placed 4th at the William& Mary Tidewater Winter Classic in Williamsburg, VA. Add a couple of other top 5 finishes in Crits; I was determined to do a podium heading into this race. This was the longest road race for the year yet and even tougher considering bulk of the training this winter has been endless hours on indoors trainer. I was surely nervous leading up to it but also a little confident that I had worked hard. 

The 45 miles Morgantown race in West Virginia is a hilly race with 4 short climbs and a slightly bigger one in the middle of the race. Right from the set go I stayed within the leading bunch. I have been doing this for all the races so far mostly to stay out of trouble since I am starting within the Cat 5 here in the US and there is always some nervousness in the pack behind. The group stayed together on the first short climb, but the second climb had already weakened the group and selected a group of riders with 2 even getting away. By the time we approached the third climb of the day, the biggest of them all, we had reeled back the 2 men breakaway. I rode a good tempo pace on the bigger climb and worked with 3 other cyclists to drop everyone else. I was feeling good, could have gotten away but with more than third of the course left I was sure they would have caught me. I am not the best descenders in the game. So I stayed patient and worked with other 3 riders. By the time we were over the 4th climb it was just Nate and me left. We had dropped the other 2 riders leading up to the 4th climb who were the initial 2 men breakaway. With just a km or 2 left, Nate was sharper between the two of us for the day and got away. Now reflecting back I feel I had the legs. Maybe I was slower to react and it was the winter rustiness and then the "self-combustion" by dressing up way too warmly for the day. But full points to Nate who rode a very good race.  I lost the race by just 8 seconds and finished 2nd. 

Just as Cancellera said after Milano San Remo, I guess the most disappointed rider of the day is the always the one finishes second. But I am feeling positive considering how difficult this winter has been.  2 road races and 2 top 5 finishes are acceptable to me at this stage as we are still preparing for the main goals later in the season. BJ has been an excellent coach to me, always available and these are still early days in the season. He sends me a very inspirational email just the day before the race and he believed I could win. I came real close and I am thankful he believes in me.”

Great job, Raj!

PCG Coach: BJ Basham