Mar 10, 2014

"Finishing this race has been my top personal goal for the last year. Looking back to when I first thought about doing the ironman I knew it would be a big step up for me fitness wise and take me well out of my comfort zone. Learning more about endurance training, fitting all the pieces into my day to day life and starting to explore what I am capable of all really appealed to me." - Ed Litton

PCG athlete Ed Litton had a successful day at Ironman New Zealand in his first go at the IM distance.  Ed got out of the water in a comfortable 57:21 and out onto the roads right on planned pace.  On the bike Ed settled in quickly to his targeted HR for the 180.25 km ride.  He lost a little time with a 4 minute penalty in the second half, but used this time wisely to get in some good nutrition and finished in 5:54.  Ed gained his running legs fairly quickly off the bike and settled into his planned pace of 5:30-5:20/km.  As the day wore on, Ed's consistent training and hard work paid off as he was able to keep his body going through the final kilometers of the race to finish off with a run of 4:20.  We predicted Ed to come in under 11hrs and 30min, and even with his "questionable" penalty, Ed surpassed that goal with a finishing time of 11:24:16.

Great job Ed on cashing in on all that fitness you've earned!

PCG Coach: Nicholas Stanko