Sep 10, 2018

Here is his race report:

Flyover Silver Creek, Manitowoc, WI



Cross is finally here and the Wisconsin season began in Manitowoc. There was a larger than normal turnout for a northern race because heavy rains caused the Milwaukee Parks Department to cancel the event scheduled for the day before due to soggy grass. I won the last race of last season with bike handling skills against a small field on a snowy day in December. This race would be different. The road and mountain bike seasons had just ended and it was a sunny day with temperatures in the 60’s.

It was a great course with flat grass, roots and dirt in the woods, beach sand on Lake Michigan, technical sections, a big climb (two for the afternoon races) and some requisite mud. The start was about 150 yards of wide open grass before pinching into a short technical section in the woods. I knew position would be key because time could be quickly lost in traffic backups in the woods. 

My first race of the day was the Masters 45+ Cat 4/5. I wanted to be in the first 3-5 riders, but not at the front so I could let somebody else set the pace while I gauged the field. Last year, starts were a problem because I didn’t have good sprinting power and I would redline if I tried to stay in the front. Today was different, I was able to power into the third spot without without digging too deep and got to coast through the woods. The exit was a steep, rooted upshot about 8 feet high with a sharp left turn at the top. The first place rider got turned sideways on a root at the top of the hill and went down, also taking out the second place rider. I managed to slip to the inside and avoid the pile up, but now I was in the lead and the race had just begun. I knew the fall would cause some backups, so I punched it to make it hard on the chasing riders. There was a grassy switchback and then a long straight to the flyover. By the time I got to the flyover, a teammate was yelling that I had a 5 second gap. 


The course looped out and back on the central staging area several times per lap. This made for great viewing, but also for easy communication from teammates. I was riding at my max figuring that I would ease up at some point when another rider got close to chasing me down, but every time through the central area they were shouting out bigger gaps: 6 seconds, 8 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. I had the power to stay on the gas the entire race. I punched it up the hills, accelerated hard out of slow sections and did the run-ups and deep beach sand at a solid pace. I was able to recover from the hard exertions while never riding below a solid tempo/sub-threshold exertion level. I ended up winning by over 30 seconds. I’m not sure what the final gap was, but there was nobody on in sight when I hit the finishing straight.

This was a great start to the season, but I thought the rest of the day was even more impressive. This was my first day a Cat 4 and I had struggled to finish in the top ten last year in the open Cat 5 races. I managed an 11th place finish in the Cat 4 race and held onto a top 5 spot against the 20 somethings for most of the first lap. The biggest surprise was the single speed race which included Cat 1 and 2 riders. I always got lapped in this race last year, but I rode to a 12 place finish and stayed easily on the lead lap.


Thanks Gordy. We’re off to a flying start.

Mike is coached by Elite Peaks Coaching Group Coach Gordy Paulson

0 comments:

Post a Comment