Coached by Earl Zimmermann.
On June 12th, Troy Hopwood began the race of a life time with ~150 other psychotic souls on the Tour Divide mountain bike race. This is a single-stage self-supported race from Banff Canada to Mexico. 2800 miles and 200,000 feet of climbing, finishing in 26 days.
The daily events could fill a small book, but here are a few:
· Day 1: broke shoe buckle
· Day 10: fell hard in the night and bruised knee, requiring rest for at least one day
· Day 12: able to repair buckle
· Day 16: rode 200 miles unable to resupply
· Day 17: held up by lightning and thunder showers in the Rocky Mountains
· Day 18: Riding in mud for hours on end - drive train shot
· Day 19: held up by lightning and thunder showers in the Rocky Mountains
· Day 20: Riding in mud for hours on end - drive train shot
· Day 26: finished in New Mexico
Congratulations Troy!! From now on, every ride will be easy.