Sep 4, 2013

The Deerfield Dirt Road RandonnĂ©e (or D2R2, as it is more commonly known) is 115 miles (70% on dirt), with 15,000 feet of climbing in bucolic southern Vermont and western Massachusetts. It’s quite a ride.   Many consider it one of the hardest rides in the country.  

On August 24th 2013, Bruce Rychlik rode it like never before.    His goal was to be very careful of his pacing before lunch.  He explained, “I felt INCREDIBLY fresh on the first 1/3, so I really did have to reel myself in constantly on the climbs – and I am glad I did.”  He went on to explain that, in addition, he was very pleased with how improved his descending skills were on the many gravel and dirt sections.  “I feel like I am beginning to get the handle of it and have given up my ROOKIE status.”   His PCG coach, Karen Mackin explained “he really did lose his rookie status quite a while ago, but sometimes it takes a challenge of this caliber for an athlete to acknowledge it for themselves.”   

PCG Coach:  Karen Mackin