Jun 19, 2013

PCG Elite Coach, Randy Catron competed in the Race Across the West and walked away a record holder! Read about his experience:

Randy more than 36 hours into the race near Mexico Hat, AZ
“I just returned home at 0500 after finishing Race Across the West. My partner (Colan Arnold) and I set the a new national record for 50+ riding from Oceanside, CA to Durango, CO (858mi). Our time is shown below. Colan was a former coaching client of mine before I joined Peaks. Both of us, of course, primarily train as “weekend warrior” bike racers (RR, TT, Crits, CX).  

In addition to winning our category, we also finished before 2 of the Under 50 teams, and one of the 4P teams. This was a good result for our first year doing this race, which has a steep learning curve. During our race we were actually off our bikes for at least 3 hours to work out crew sleep issues, and to help me get my nutrition going again (“….it was deep into the race and a screaming night descent in the desert…my bike started to shimmy but I kept riding thinking it was just a ‘little shimmy’…my crew yelled out the window and used some colorful language to make me stop…”). I stopped, we got my nutrition and other issues back on track, then rode very well the next 18 hours to the finish. I haven’t analyzed all the stats yet, but I expect we will have a couple of the fastest elapsed stage times. We had the 5th fastest time (5/54) on the last stage (time station 14 to 15) of our race for all riders and teams (Solo RAAM riders/all RAW solos and team).



Bottom line, we had challenges during the race where we expected to have challenges (nutrition and sleep), and we learned a lot. If we had to do the race again in 3 months, we could cut our time by at least 2 hours by adjusting some tactics at the start of the race, and better managing sleep and nutrition (assuming no mechanicals or injuries). I’ll be able to apply much of what I learned to my RAW/RAAM clients in the future. We are already talking about racing RAW again next year with a 4P team, then doing 4P RAAM in 2015.”

Randy & Colan are now RAW record holders!
Awesome job, Randy!!