Sep 20, 2018



...I get the invite. Brian Rhea, the race director for a new 630 mile single stage, bike race, shot me a message: “Hi Jon, My name is Brian Rhea from Minneapolis. I followed your excellent Trans Am Bike Race last year. Nice work! I started a bike race here in Minnesota. It’s called the North Star Bicycle Race (northstarbicyclerace.com). It’s pretty much like the Trans Am but only 630 miles. Anyway I recently had 2 Trans Am Bike Racers sign up for the Sep 12 race and got to thinking Jon Lester lives in WI…maybe he’d be up for the ride? I know it’s short notice but it’d be great to have you racing with us. Hope you are well. Take care, Brian. ”
What?! This was only 3weeks away!! There’s no way I could be ready in time…right? I was thinking no way, but part of me really wanted to do this. I messaged my coach about it and he advised against it, but said “If you really have your heart set on doing this, we can make it happen, but it’s going to take some long training days the next couple of weeks”. So go ahead, it’s possible, is how I interpreted that. After a talk with my wife, Sally about it, I messaged my coach back with a “Let’s do it!”. I had to start right away that night with a 5.5 hour training ride… Here we go!
Jon Lester is coached by PCG Elite/Master Coach Gordy Paulson

0 comments:

Post a Comment