Aug 22, 2016

On the weekend of Aug 13 and 14, Omaha, NE hosted the USA Triathlon Amateur National Championship for Sprint and Olympic Distance Triathlon. This would be Peaks Coach Stacey McMickens first attempt at qualifying for TEAM USA to represent the United States at the World Championship.  Being a part of TEAM USA has been dream that has been percolating over the last 20 years of her participation in the sport. She explained "I wanted to test my limits and see if I could climb my way to the top of the sport of triathlon (for amateurs of course).   Then 3 weeks before the race, she suffered a calf injury that put her in crutches.  She explained "I took it day by day and was able to jog slowly thru the river cities triathlon (a week before the race) but wasn’t convinced it would be worth the trip to nationals ... and decided I wouldn’t go."   Then two days later, her PCG coach Karen Mackin got the email "I'm going to Nat's!" - she had changed her mind so off she went!

She thoroughly enjoyed the experience saying everything was "SO PRO".  USA Triathlon does a great job with creating top notch National Championship Event.  Although her results where not quite where she had hoped (she came in 22nd), she felt she had a good race and put it all out there.   She explained, "The gap between having a good race and a great race is wide and daunting. It would be easiest to throw up my hands and say it will be too hard. However, I feel most alive when trying to achieve things that scare the heck out of me. And it makes me feel like I am not settling for being in my comfort zone. The whole experience was awesome from start to finish and I can’t wait to give it a second try and attempt to narrow that gap." Way to go Stacey! It is attitude that makes Champions, and she certainly has what it takes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment