Aug 5, 2013

Stefan Wawersik took second place in the Cat4 race at the ENGVT Concord Criterium this past Saturday.  Stefan has worked incredibly hard the past two years to improve his power-to-weight and crit skills, and the hard work is starting to pay off.


"On 3 and 2 to go, I followed wheels I knew were good to move up. I lost some ground with the swamping at the top, but sat in about 10-12th wheel going through the final turn sequence into the bell lap. A couple of guys died on the hill, and I was in about 8th wheel through the tight turn and to the top of the hill. YES! Then the guys on the front sat up a bit. NOOOOOO! Unwilling to get swamped, I decided to take a chance and test my theory about attacking into the final turn sequence. After my first jump, I looked back under my arm and could see a decent gap, with one guy chasing a bike length or two back. GO! I was going so fast into the downhill turn, I had to fight every instinct I had to scrub some speed, then gunned it into the last two turns. By this point I was in agony, and I fully expected to be caught 50 feet from the line. But it didn't happen!!! "Holy crap, I won!" I thought...but it turns out during the fog of the last 7 laps, I missed the fact that one guy went off the front at 6 to go. Honestly, I was a little disappointed, but then I realized that I still finished 2nd. First podium in a LONG time, and first upgrade points ever." – Stefan

Great job, Stefan!

PCG Coach: Cort Cramer