Oct 19, 2012

Congratulations to Jen Schoenberg for an excellent race at the Ironman World Championships on October 13, 2012.    As she was reflecting on the race she explained, "I had a good swim despite the European men trying to take me out, elbowing me in the ribs, and clawing at my legs- I still exited the water out ahead of a lot of the guys.  Once I got on the bike it was demoralizing watching all the bikers pass me.  After about 40 miles of this I had to finally wake up and say to myself it's the world championships and these are the best in the WORLD.  Hello?  I hadn't really thought about it up until that point."  She went on to explain that after the bike, she realized (in hindsight) that she faltered a little on her nutrition plan and started the run low on the fluids.   She went on to explain, "The first 10 miles of the run was great- 8:30 pace and similar to Tremblant- it was great to see the crew out there cheering me on!  But about mile 11-12, I felt the stomach start to churn and by 13 I was in search of porta potties for many miles.  But for the last 3 miles - just after a gorgeous sunset-I had gotten it all out of my system and I was able to run again and get to the finish line feeling great." 

In summary she added, "I achieved my goal which was at the top of my bucket list. However, I must say that all I could think was that I'd rather give birth again than to ever come back to Kona-- but at least I can say I conquered the massive contusions throughout the entire swim, third degree sun torching burns, 40 mph head winds for 112 miles, a visit to 4 over-flowing port-potties, and the slowest 26 miles I've ever run on scorching pavement-- who ever said that lava is beautiful anyway?? In the end it was all worth it to cross the finish line and hear Mike Reilly say "Jennifer Schoenberg- You. Are. An. Ironman!" What an amazing experience and having my family there to support me made it all worth while!


PCG Coach:  Karen Mackin